Are You Ready for FSMA?
The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Preventative Controls for Animal Food is now final and some compliance dates begin as soon as September 2016.
The final rule has 5 key requirements including:
1. Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs) established for animal food production
2. Covered facilities must establish and implement a food safety system that includes an analysis of hazards and risk-based preventive controls
3. Supply-chain program is more flexible, with separate compliance dates established
4. The definition of a ‘farm’ is clarified in the Preventive Controls for Human Food final rule to cover two types of farm operations. Operations meeting the definition of ‘farm’ are not subject to the preventive controls rule
5. Feed mills associated with farms (vertically integrated operations) are not covered
Praedium can help facilities who are unsure if their current Food Safety Plan will meet FSMA, by conducting a Gap Analysis based on other recognized food safety programs such as Safe Quality Food, Safe Feed/Safe Food or HACCP. Praedium can also help with any further documentation development or consulting needed based on the Gap Analysis results.
For more information on how we can help you become FSMA compliant, please contact Mackenzie Dierks, Director of Food Safety, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515.362.7555.